2/01/2013

Shinjuku

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 

Shinjuku 新宿 Shinjuku Ward

quote
In 1634, during the Edo period, as the outer moat of the Edo Castle was built, a number of temples and shrines moved to the Yotsuya area on the western edge of Shinjuku.
In 1698, Naitō-Shinjuku had developed as a new (shin) station (shuku or juku) on the Kōshū Kaidō, one of the major highways of that era. Naitō was the family name of a daimyo whose mansion stood in the area; his land is now a public park, the Shinjuku Gyoen.

In 1920, the town of Naitō-Shinjuku that comprised large parts of present-day Shinjuku, parts of Nishi-Shinjuku and Kabukichō was integrated into Tokyo City. Shinjuku began to develop into its current form after the Great Kantō earthquake in 1923, since the seismically stable area largely escaped the devastation. Consequently, West Shinjuku is one of the few areas in Tokyo with many skyscrapers.
© More in the WIKIPEDIA !



Naitoo Shinjuku 内藤新宿 Naito Shinjuku (model, wikipedia)
CLICK for more photos !

.......................................................................

高松喜六 Takamatsu Kiroku (? - 1713)
高松喜兵衛 Takamatsu Kihei
and the beginning of Naito Shinjuku / Naitō-Shinjuku 内藤新宿.

He is the "founding father of Naitō-Shinjuku 内藤新宿 Naito Shinjuku".
Kiroku was village headman of 浅草阿部川町 Asakusa Abekawamachi and helped develop Shinjuku after a new legislation in 1697.
Since his time, the head of the Takamatsu family took the name of Kiroku.

- quote -
Koshu-kaido Avenue was the main road from Nihon-bashi Bridge to Kofu, and from Kofu connected to Shimo-Suwa via the Nakasendo Avenue. Nihon-bashi Bridge was a long way from the first inn area —Takaido— on the Koshu-kaido Avenue, and travelers had a difficult time making the trip. For this reason, upon the request of Lord Takamatsu Kiroku , authorization was received to place an inn in an area midway.
Since the inn was placed on the property of 内藤 Lord Naito, who returned this land to the Shogun government, and since the inn was new, the area was called Naito-Shinjuku (Naito new inn), thus marking the origin of the name Shinjuku for the area.
On March 15, 1947, the three areas of former Yotsuya, Ushigome, and Yodobashi cities merged to create Shinjuku City. The name Shinjuku was used not only because of its historical significance, but also because Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden and Shinjuku Station were well known across Japan.
- source : city.shinjuku.lg.jp/foreign -




His grave is in Shinjuku at the temple
. 獨鈷山 Dokkozan 愛染院 Aizen-In  光明寺 Komyo-Ji .


. Ushigome 牛込 .

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



source : shinjuku-ohdoori.jp.e


The town of Shinjuku dates from the late 17th century, when a post-station was set up there on the Koshu-kaido on the northwestern edge of Edo (present-day Tokyo).
To the south, Yoyogi was then mainly sparsely populated hills that rolled on as far as the eye could see.

. Shrine Yoyogi Hachimangu 代々木八幡宮 .


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


新宿は雪降るやうに罪かき消す
Shinjuku wa yuki furu yoo ni tsumi kakikesu

Shinjuku
it erases sins
like falling snow

Tr. Fay Aoyagi

Tsukushi Bansei 筑紫磐井


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- shinjuku #naitoshinjuku -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 

No comments: