1/02/2017

Karasuyama Temple Town

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Karasuyama teramachi 烏山寺町 Karasuyama Temple Town

There are 26 temples in the area.
The area is called the Little Kyoto of Setagaya ward 世田谷の小京都.



からすやま寺町の歌 - The song of Karasuyama Temple Town
- reference source : www.youtube.com -

- quote -
The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 brought a virtual tidal wave of displaced refugees, and a flotilla of temples as well. Setagaya’s population nearly doubled, and Teramachi, or “temple town,” near Chitose-Karasuyama, offered land on which 26 temples damaged in the quake were rebuilt.
A variety of Buddhist sects are represented, and one temple, Senkoji, sequesters the grave site of world-renowned ukiyo-e artist Kitagawa Utamaro.
The hush over the area is eerie beyond words.
- A wave to Setagaya
- source : Kit Nagamura / Japan Times -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

01 Myookooji 妙高寺 Myoko-ji
Nichiren Sect.

The temple moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923. It retains a grave of the Mizuno family, the lord of the Yamagata domain. There are graves of 藤井右門 Fujii Umon, an advocate of the restoration of the Imperial rule, three Japanese-style painters: 速水御舟 Hayami Gyoshu (1894 - 1935),
今村紫紅 Imamura Shiko (1880 - 1916), 小村雪岱 Komura Settai (1887 - 1940), and 川之辺一朝 Kawanobe Itcho (1830 - 1910), a lacquer artist.
Myoko-ji HP : - reference source : myokozi.com -

.......................................................................

. 金剛山 Kongozan 悲願寺 Higan-Ji 多聞院 Tamon-In .
Nr. 03 of the Gofunai 御府内八十八ヶ所霊場 88 Henro Temples in Edo

.......................................................................

03 Joomanji 乗満寺 Joman-ji
Shinshu-otani School
The temple was originally located in Kaga and called Rinsho Temple. After moving to Setsu, Fushimi, Suruga then Edo, it changed its name to Joman Temple. It moved to Karasuyama in 1924. In the Edo period the temple had many patrons among 江戸期は幕臣関係の檀家 the vassals of the shogun.

04 Nyuurakuji 入楽寺 Nyuraku-ji
Shinshu-otani School
It was built in Hiramatsu-cho, Nihonbashi in 1648. After being moved to Matsuyama-cho, Asakusa, it was burnt down in the Great Kanto Earthquake. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927.

.......................................................................

05 Jooeiji 常栄寺 Joei-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School

The buildings were all burnt in the Great Kanto Earthquake except for the principal image and the necrology. It moved to Karasuyama from Tsukiji in 1924.
There are the remains of a foundation stone of 菊田伊州 Kikuta Ishu (1791 - 1852), a Japanese-style painter.
Joei-ji HP - reference source : joueiji.net-

.......................................................................

06 Genshooji 源正寺 Gensho-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Tsukiji in 1932. They have metal tubs made by 藤原正次 Fujiwara Shoji,
a master of foundry in the Edo period, which were chosen as cultural assets.


07 Shinryuuji 幸龍寺 Shinryu-ji
Nichiren Sect.
The temple was originally built as a prayer hall for the Tokugawa family. It moved to Hamamatsu, Suruga, Yushima then Asakusa. It was damaged in the Great Kanto Earthquake. Its relocation to Karasuyama began in 1927 and was completed in 1940.

.......................................................................

08 Zonmyooji 存明寺 Zonmyo-ji
Shinshu-otani School

The temple was built at Sakurada-mon in the early Edo period. It moved to Azabu in the Meiji period, then to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake. Teachings written by the chief priest are on display at the gate, and they are changed from time to time.
The temple features a dining facility for needy children, Zonmyōji Kodomo Shokudō - Cafeteria.
Zonmyo-ji HP : - reference source : zonmyoji.jp -

.......................................................................

09 Shoo-oo-in 稱往院 Shoo-in
Jodo Sect.
The temple was built in Yushima in 1596, then moved to Asakusa. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake.

.......................................................................


source : tukitodora.exblog.jp

.......................................................................

10 Myooyuji 妙祐寺 Myoyu-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School


source : saiseki.net/specialties/temple13

The temple was built in Shibuya in 1625 with the statue of 阿弥陀如来 Amida Nyorai which was dug out from the ground. It moved to Karasuyama due to the construction of the Ginza Line in 1937 and the re-zoning plan in 1949.
They have a unique main building which was built in the Indian style.

.......................................................................

11 Soofukuji 宗福寺 Sofuku-ji
Jodo Sect.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Nippori after the 1923 earthquake.

12 Eiryuuji 永隆寺 Eiryu-ji
Hokke Sect.
日義上人 Nichiyoshi, a holy priest who taught the game of go to Tokugawa Ieyasu, built the temple in Kanda. Daikoku, a stone statue as the temple’s treasure, was given to the temple by お万の方 O-Man, one of Ieyasu’s concubines. The temple moved to Yanaka, Honjo, then to Karasuyama in 1928 after the 1923 earthquake.
There is a grave of 三遊亭圓生 Sanyutei Ensho (1839 - 1900), a Rakugo comic storyteller who was designated as a living national treasure.

13 Jooinji 浄因寺 Join-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School
The temple used to retain a grave of the 福岡黒田藩士 Kuroda family, who were clansmen in Fukuoka. It moved from Azabu to Karasuyama in 1924.

14 Zengyooji 善行寺 Zengyo-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School
The temple was originally built around Yokoyama-cho, Chuo-ku in the early Edo period, then moved to Tsukiji due to the large fire in the Meireki period. It moved to Karasuyma after the 1923 earthquake.

15 Manpukuji 萬福寺 Manpuku-ji, Mampukuji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School
The temple was built in Hamacho in the early Edo period, then moved to Tsukiji during the Meireki period. It moved to Karasuyama after the 1923 earthquake.

16 Myoozenji 妙善寺 Myozen-ji
Jodo-shin Sect. Honganji School
北条家家臣菅原正円 Sugawara Shoen, a vassal of the Hojo family, was converted to Buddhism, became a pupil of Shinran and built a thatched cottage in Ise. It is said to have been the origin of the temple. It moved to Tsukiji near the fish market, where the priests were engaged in missionary work. So they have many believers among fish market workers. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927.

17 Myoojuuji 妙寿寺 Myoju-ji
Hokke Sect.
The temple was originally built in Yanaka. It moved to Honjo-sarue, then to Karasuyama in 1924 after the 1923 earthquake. There is a temple bell made by 藤原正次
Fujiwara Shoji, a master of foundry, which was partly burnt in the 1923 earthquake. The guest room was relocated from the former house of the 鍋島侯爵邸 Prince Nabeshima. 正隆廟 Shoryubyo, a hall to worship for future generations was newly built in 2000.

18 Senkooji 専光寺 Senko-ji
Jodo Sect.
The temple was originally built in Shinagawa, and moved to Bakurai-cho, then Asakusa. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927 after the 1923 earthquake. The main building and the monks’ living quarters were burnt due to the air raid in 1945. The main building was re-built in 1958. There is a grave of 喜多川歌麿 Kitagawa Utamaro (1753 - 1806), an ukiyo-e artist.

19 Eiganji 永願寺 Eigan-ji
Shinshu-otani School
越後の堀家家臣浄順 Jojun, a vassal of the Hori family in Echigo became a priest and built the temple in Kanda. It moved to Asakusa. The buildings were damaged by the 1923 earthquake, but its principle image Amida statue and the necrology were saved from the fire.

.......................................................................

20 Koogenin 高源院 Kogen-in
Rinzai Sect.

久留米藩有馬家 有馬頼元 Arima Yorimoto (1654 - 1705), the fourth lord of the Kurume domain, was converted to Buddhism and built the temple in Shinagawa. 怡渓和尚 Ikei, the first priest of the temple, mastered the tea ceremony. The Ikei division of the Ishikawa school still exists. The temple moved to Karasuyama in 1926. Its pond, Benten-ike, is known as a spot where wild ducks come and stay. In the center of the pond, there is a little shrine, 浮御堂 Ukigodo, which enshrines 宝生弁財天 Hosho Benzaiten.

.......................................................................

21 Genryooin 源良院 Genryo-in
Jodo Sect.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Asakusa in 1925 due to the 1923 earthquake. It used to be a temple for trainee monks. It enshrines 火伏観世音 Hifuse Kanzeon Bosatsu, which was believed to protect the Edo towns from further damage from the fires.

22 Myooyooji 妙揚寺 Myoyo-ji
Nichiren Sect.
The temple moved to Karasuyama from Yanaka Imosaka in 1928.

23 Genshooji 玄照寺 Gensho-ji
Nichiren Sect.
日延上人 Nichien, a priest brought up by 加藤清正 Kato Kiyomasa, built the temple in Shiba Shirogane. It moved to Karasuyama in 1927. There is a grave of the 戸川 Togawa family of the Niwase domain and a statue of 鬼子母神 Kishibojin, the goddess of childbirth and children.

.......................................................................

24 Joofukuji 常福寺 Jofuku-ji
Kenpon-hokke Sect.

The temple was built in Asakusa in 1511, then moved to Karasuyama in 1928 due to the 1923 earthquake.
In the precincts there are porcelain 狸 Tanuki racoon dogs in all sizes, which symbolize wealth and happiness.
Jofuku-ji HP - reference source : joufukuji.com -

. Tanuki 狸 Badger, Racoon Dog .

.......................................................................

25 Junshooji 順正寺 Junsho-Ji
高柳山 With a statue of Amida Nyorai by 恵心僧都 priest Eshin Sozu (Heian period).

.......................................................................

26 Sairenji 西蓮寺 Sairen-ji
Shinshu-otani School

宗誓上人 Shusei, born into a samurai family, became a priest and built the temple in Sakurada-mon. It moved to Toranomon, Mita, then to Karasuyama in 1939. There is a grave of Kokugakuin Kugayama School.
There is also a unique temple gate with tsuijibei 築地塀 Tsuiji-style fence.
Sairen-ji HP : - reference source : sairen99.cocolog-nifty.com-

. tsuijibei 築地塀 Tsuiji fence - Introduction .

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Maps are available from Okubo Sekizai :
4-14-10, Minamikarasuyama, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
- reference : ohkubo-sekizai.co.jp/teramachi/english



- reference : karasuyama teramachi -
- reference : 烏山 寺町 -
- reference : wikipedia -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



- - - To join me on facebook, click the image !

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. Edo bakufu 江戸幕府 The Edo Government .

. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

. Doing Business in Edo - 商売 - Introduction .

. shokunin 職人 craftsman, craftsmen, artisan, Handwerker .

. senryu, senryū 川柳 Senryu poems in Edo .

. Japanese Architecture - Interior Design - The Japanese Home .

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .


[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- - - - - #karasuyama #teramachi #templetown #edopilgrims - - - -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: