3/08/2017

Ushigome

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ushigome 牛込
- former - Ushigome-Ku 牛込区 Ushigome ward


The area used to be an extensive pasture land for cattle already in the Asuka period around 700, hence the name, "herds of cattle".

- quote -
In an edict during the reign of Monmu Tennō 文武天皇 Emperor Monmu (701-704) a place variously referred to as Kanzaki no Gyūmaki 神崎牛牧 Kanzaki Cattle Ranch and Gyūnyūin 乳牛院“The Milk Institute” was established in the area in the vicinity of Moto-Akagi Jinja 元赤城神社 Old Akagi Shrine.
A branch of the Ōgo Ōgo-shi 大胡氏 Ogo clan from Kōzuke no Kuni 上野国 Kōzuke Province had been living in the Ushigome area since the 1300’s.
- source : japanthis.com/2013 -

- reference source : Akagi Shrine Homepage -




On March 15, 1947, the three wards of Yotsuya, Ushigome, and Yodobashi merged to create Shinjuku City.
. Shinjuku 新宿  .

- quote
Ushigome moat, a moat that exists between Iidabashi Station and Ichigaya Station. It forms part of the boundary between Shinjuku and Chiyoda wards.
Ushigome Mitsuke, one of the 36 mitsuke of the Edo Castle, existed on the Chiyoda side of Ushigome bridge.
Ushigome Haraikatamachi 牛込払方町 (p63)
Ushigome Yanagichō 柳町 - "Cow-Packed Willow Town"
- source : wikipedia

牛込馬場下横町 Ushigome Babashita Yokocho (present 喜久井町 Kikuicho)
Ushigome Go-Tansucho 牛込御箪笥町 "Village of Tansu makers" (see below)


牛込神楽坂 Ushigome Kagurazaka
Utagawa Hiroshige, 1840.


Ushigomebashi 牛込橋 Ushigome Bridge
This bridge led from Kagurazaka to Edo Castle. If you crossed the bridge you would arrive at Ushigome-mitsuke 牛込見附 Ushigome Approach and there you would see the Ushigome go-mon 牛込御門 Ushigome Gate. The bridge spanned Ushigomebori 牛込濠 Ushigome Moat. Today the moat is dammed up under the bridge and the Chūō Line runs under it.



The Weir of the River Kandagawa at Kagurazaka
Edo Meisho Zue 江戸名所図会 「目白下大洗堰」


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Bentenchoo 牛込弁天町 Ushigome Bentencho
. 多聞院 Tamon-In .
(新宿区弁天町100) Bentencho, Shinjuku


. Ushigome Kagurazaka 牛込神楽坂 "Slope of the Music of the Gods" .
軽子坂 Karukozaka Slope of the light workers"


. Ushigome Yaraicho 矢来町 "Palisade quarter" .

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

牛込城 remains of Ushigome Castle

In 1553 a member of the Ōgo-shi 大胡氏 Ōgo clan switched allegiance from the Uesugi to the Hōjō and in return was granted dominion over the area stretching from present day Ushigome to Hibiya (ie; Edo Bay). The lord built a castle (fortified residence) somewhere in that area and took the place name to establish his own branch of the family and thus the Ushigome clan was born, 牛込氏 Ushigome-shi. The area is elevated so it would have been defensible. It also had a view of Edo Bay and so they could keep an eye on who was coming in and out of Edo-wan E江戸湾 do Bay.
... It’s not clear where the castle was located, but there is a tradition at Kōshō-ji 光照寺 Kōshō Temple that says the temple was built on the site of 牛込城 Ushigome Castle.
- source : japanthis.com/2013 -


- CLICK for more photos of the area !

. Ushigome Katsushige 牛込勝重 .
lord of 牛込城 Ushigome Castle.
and more about Tansumachi 箪笥町 / Koishikawa Gotansu Machi 小石川御箪笥町
In 1713, this area was entrusted to a local magistracy and a town was developed. The original name of the town was 牛込御箪笥町 Ushigome go-tansu machi.




Ushigome Go-Tansucho 牛込御箪笥町 "Village of Tansu makers"

春立つやぶらり牛込箪笥町
haru tatsu ya burari Ushigome Tansumachi

spring begins -
I take a leisurely walk in Ushigome
Tansumachi town


赤瀬川昌彦 Akasegawa Masahiko

. tansu 箪笥 / 簞笥 / たんす chest of drawers, Kommode .
箪笥町 Tansumachi, Tansucho


Tansumachi 箪笥町 / Koishikawa Gotansu Machi 小石川御箪笥町



..............................................................................................................................................



Kōitsu, 土屋光逸 Tsuchiya Koitsu (1870 – 1949)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .

................................................................................. Asakusa 浅草

.......................................................................
Tanaka 田中幸右衛門 Tanaka Koemon

Tanaka Koemon lived in Ushigome Yamabushicho. One day he went to Asakusa and on his way back bought
金龍山の餅 special rice cakes from the famous shop Kinryuzan.
When he passed the gate 田安門 Tayasumon, he heard a strange voice call his name. He became afraid and threw the rice cakes in the direction of the voice, coming home empty-handed.

. Asakusa 浅草 district in Edo .
Now 市谷山伏町 Ichigaya Yamabushicho, Shinjuku



金竜山浅草餅本舗 Kinryuzan Mochi Shop in Asakusa, Nakamise
2 Chome-3-1 Asakusa, Taito, Tokyo
The Seikannon Sect of the Asakusa Temple carries the official name of Kinryuzan.



Tayasu-mon, Entrance to 北の丸公園 Kitanomaru Park
Two gated entrances survive from time of Edo Castle the Shimizu-mon and further north the Tayasu-mon.
The Tayasu-mom was the northern most gate of Edo Castle and consists of both a Korai-mon style outer gate and a Yagura-mon style fortified inner gatehouse with highly stacked stone walls forming a narrow defensive courtyard between the two.
An inscription on the outer side of the Tayasu-mon states the gate was constructed in 1685, making it one of the oldest surviving structures of the original castle.
- - - More in the WIKIPEDIA !

..............................................................................................................................................
daihooshi 大法師 The Great Priest

In 牛込山伏町 Yamabushicho, a man named 朝倉八十五郎 Asakura Yasogoro wanted to put up residence. When he came to the Gate, there stood a very large priest. Yasogoro was not afraid and greeted him properly. Suddenly he felt something trying to sneek into his sleeve. When he looked back to the road, the priest had suddenly disapeared.

.......................................................................
dainaru hi 大なる燈 The Great Lantern

Around 1720 there was a Kannon temple called 伝通院 Dentsu-In. On the 25th day of the first lunar there appeared a strange light like a lantern above the temple, slowly moving from North to South. It then moved up to the sky and became a star which glowed and sparkled every night. On the 8th day of the third lunar month there was a large fire, covering the area from Ushigome to 千住 Senju. Later they found the bodies of many people who had died in the garden of this temple.

. 江戸三十三観音霊場 Pilgrimage to 33 Kannon Temples of Edo .
12 伝通院(文京区小石川3-14-6) Nr. 12 - Dentsu-In

.......................................................................
hikarimono 光り物 great light

At night on the 8th day of the 10th lunar month, a huge stone fell from the sky in Ushigome.
The year before, a similar stone had fallen down in 八王子 Hachioji.
There was thunder in the night and a light like a lightning.

.......................................................................
koku-un 黒雲 black cloud

In the year 1668, on the 6th day of the second lunar month, it suddenly begun to hail with a great thunderstorm.
Someone had died at Ushigome. When the body was brought to the burial ground for burning, a black cloud came down from the sky and covered the bones. From the could the bones of legs were danglilng down. Yes, many people have seen this.

寛文7年閏2月6日、急に雹が降り雷が鳴った時に牛込で人が死んだ。火葬場に送ったところ黒雲が舞い下り死骸を覆った。雲から死骸の足が垂れ下がり多くの人がそれを見た。


.......................................................................
kuruiji 狂い死 a mad death

In Ushigome there was a female doctor, who suddenly fell down with great pain and begun to cry and shout in the voice of a child in pain. Then the pain was like splitting the skull and tearing her heart and stomach open. She even tried to murder some children in her hospital and after three days of mad behavior she finally died. This doctor had often given medicine and help for abortions, and this was the revenge for her cruel deeds.


.......................................................................
neko Jizo 猫地蔵 Jizo and the Cat
Once in Edo there lived a man in Ushigome. He had a beloved cat, but the animal died and he was very sad.
Jizo Bosatsu appeared in his dream and advised him to go to the temple Jishoo-In 自性院 Jisho-In to see the high priest 鑑秀上人. He told him to have the statue of a cat erected.
This is now the Migawari Jizo, which takes on our illness and problems.
. neko Jizoo 猫地蔵 Neko Jizo. "Jizo with Cat" .


.......................................................................
Sarayashiki 皿屋敷 The Dish Mansion

Banchō Sarayashiki 番町皿屋敷 The Dish Mansion at Banchō
- - - More in the WIKIPEDIA !

The story of the Sarayashiki is located in three places of Edo, one of them is 江戸牛込御門 Ushigome Gomon Gate.
The other is the Mansion of the lord of the domain of 雲州松江 Unshu Matsue and even 播州 Harima.

..............................................................................................................................................

- reference : nichibun yokai database -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- - - - - H A I K U and S E N R Y U - - - - -

牛込に古き弓師や軒しやうぶ
Ushigome ni furuki yumishi ya noki shoobu

this old bow maker
at Ushigome -
iris under the eaves

Tr. Gabi Greve

中村吉右衛門 Nakamura Kichiemon


. WKD : noki shoobu 軒菖蒲 iris under the eaves" .
noki ayame 軒あやめ "iris under the eaves"
- - kigo for mid-summer - -

In 1689 Matsuo Basho (松尾芭蕉) crossed the Natori River and entered Sendai, Miyagi on The Narrow Road to Oku.’
It was the day they celebrate by converting their roofs with ‘Sweet flags’, or Calami’ (あやめ). He visited there around the time of the Sweet Flags Festival (あやめの節句) (5th day of Fifth Month, also called the Boy’s Festival), when sweet flags were displayed on the eaves of houses to drive away evil spirits, or they took “Shobuyu, or 菖蒲湯 (bath with floating sweet flag leaves)” baths. The leaves keep mosquitoes and snakes away with strong fragrance.




::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



- - - To join me on facebook, click the image !

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. Edo bakufu 江戸幕府 The Edo Government .

. Famous Places and Powerspots of Edo 江戸の名所 .

. Doing Business in Edo - 商売 - Introduction .

. shokunin 職人 craftsman, craftsmen, artisan, Handwerker .

. senryu, senryū 川柳 Senryu poems in Edo .

. Japanese Architecture - Interior Design - The Japanese Home .

. Legends and Tales from Japan 伝説 - Introduction .


[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- - - - - #ushigome - - - -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: